When will I go home?
What can I do?
What can’t I do?
|2 weeks||You will be discharged on the same day as the operation||Rest in splint/plaster||No lifting|
Acute phase (0-2 weeks)
- Reduce pain
- Rest in plaster/splint
Intermediate phase (2-6 weeks)
- Control pain
- Change in thumb splint
- Gentle passive thumb range of movement
- No thumb opposition
- Active finger movements
- Wrist range of movement
Late phase (>6 weeks)
- Regain thumb range of movement
- Regain strength, proprioception and function
- Begin active range of movement of the thumb
- Encourage abduction, adduction, flexion and extension
- No thumb opposition until 8 weeks post surgery
- Load thumb from 8 weeks
Guidelines for return to functional activities
|2 weeks||6 weeks||2 weeks||4 weeks|