When will I go home?
What can I do?
What can’t I do?
|2 weeks||You will be discharged on the day after the operation||Elbow range of movement||No movement into painful extremes.|
Acute phase (0-2 weeks)
- Reduce pain
- Extension splint for first 24 hours
- Gentle range of movements including pronation and supination as tolerated
Intermediate phase (2-6 weeks)
- Control pain
- Restore elbow range of movement
- Continue flexion/extension and pronation/supination exercises
- All motion may be active-assisted progressing to active
- Add static progressive splinting (Mayo elbow brace) if necessary
- Continue grip strengthening
Late phase (>6 weeks)
- Restore elbow function
- Restore full range of movement
- Restore elbow strength, stability, proprioception and function
Guidelines for return to functional activities
|4 weeks||6 weeks||2 weeks||6 weeks|