When will I go home?
What can I do?
What can’t I do?
|2 weeks||You will be discharged on the same day as the operation||Rest in a splint/plaster||No lifting|
Acute phase (0-2 weeks)
- Reduce pain
- Rest in plaster/splint
- Sling for comfort
Intermediate phase (2-6 weeks)
- Control pain
- Immobilise to gain union of fusion site
- Change into splint
- Mobilise shoulder and elbow joints
Late phase (>6 weeks)
- Regain range of movement in wrist
- Regain strength, proprioception and function
- Remove splint
- Mobilise wrist and hand
- Increase loading of wrist in graduated fashion
Guidelines for return to functional activities
|8 weeks||8 weeks||8 weeks||3 months|