When will I go home?
What can I do?
What can’t I do?
|Splint in extension for 2 weeks||You will be discharged on the same day as the operation||All shoulder range of movement||No movement into painful extremes.|
Acute phase (0-2 weeks)
- Protect surgical repair
- Reduce pain
- Patient will be in a rigid splint in elbow extension for two weeks
Intermediate phase (2-6 weeks)
- Control pain
- Patient fitted with hinged elbow brace to be worn at all times except bathing
- Brace locked at 30 degrees for weeks 2-6
Late phase (>6 weeks)
- Restore elbow range of movement
- Restore elbow strength, stability, proprioception and function
- Begin elbow range of movement
- Passive range from 6 weeks to 12 weeks aiming for 130 degrees flexion by 12 weeks
- Active elbow range of movement from 8 weeks
- Full elbow extension by 8 weeks
- No active triceps strengthening until 3 months
Guidelines for return to functional activities
|3 months||4 months||3 months||6 months|