When will I go home?
What can I do?
What can’t I do?
|2 weeks||You will be discharged on the same day as the operation||Gentle elbow range of movement||No movement into painful extremes|
Acute phase (0-2 weeks)
- Reduce pain
- Minimize elbow swelling and finger stiffness
- Elbow range of movement exercises respecting pain
- Hand & finger exercises
- Wean sling by 2 weeks
Intermediate phase (2-6 weeks)
- Restore full elbow range of movement
- Progress range of movement exercises to full functional range
- Ensure elbow strength and stability through range
- Scar massage and modalities for improving tissue elongation
- Restore wrist, finger range of movement
Late phase (>6 weeks)
- Full function of elbow
- Continue to progress range of movement, strength and function of upper limb
- Proprioception upper limb exercises to enhance stability
Guidelines for return to functional activities
|2 weeks||6 weeks||4 weeks||6 weeks|